Image 1 of 1
The Conover Beacon, when aligned with the Chapel Hill Rear Range Lighthouse that stands on a hill one a half mile to the south, served to guide vessels along the Chapel Hill Channel. This channel runs from just off the tip of Sandy Hook south into Sandy Hook Bay towards the town of Leonardo.Conover Beacon - Chapel Hill Front Range Light Photograph courtesy U.S. Coast Guard. In 1852, Congress approved funding for the beacon to be established at Leonardo. The following year, beachfront property was purchased from Rulif Conover, whose name would be applied to the finished tower.
- Copyright 2009 Michael J. Treola All Rights Reserved
- Image Size
- 5616x3744 / 60.2MB
- Contained in galleries
- Stock Images, Stock - New Jersey