Battery Gunnison Sandy Hook.
Batttery Gunnison, built in 1904 as part of Fort Hancock's Endicott period defenses. The battery's two guns were originally mounted on counterweight carriages. These so-called "disappearing" guns recoiled back to their loading position behind the protective concrete wall each time they fired their 6-inch caliber shells.
During World War II, the army raised Battery Gunnison's gun platforms and mounted two barbette guns here. These guns were also 6-inch diameter, but could rapid-fire 108lb armored piercing projectiles more than 10 miles in any direction. The Battery Gunnison's Barbettes are the only guns at Fort Handcock not scrapped after World War II.